Saturday 15 February 2014

Sunday Morning, once again | week five

I literally can't even believe how long I've been here. it's sunday the 16th, which means I got here exactly 5 weeks ago. Things have changed so much since I left home. I'm working through stuff from my past, but only in the hopes of moving forward. i'm becoming part of a family here, a family that comforts, that sings, that loves hardcore, that encourages to the point of being creepy, and that is very quickly overcoming personal space boundaries. we watch the Olympics together, cheering on our respective countries, and we Skype/facetime/video chat each other's families. life is so incredibly good. we do ridiculous things like spontaneous hair dying, going swimming at the beach when it's cold and windy, and laughing so incredibly hard at movies like Monsters' University. Next week, we have a talent/no talent night where we get to showcase our gifts and our "gifts". we are in routine, and I love it. I got to facetime one of my excellent little brothers today and didn't feel homesick at all, because for this season of my life, this is home.
a lot of people ask me about my taste in music. like what I like to listen to, etc. quite honestly, I would enjoy all kinds of music except screamo and probably most techno. however, the music that I listen to always has a memory attached. for me, that's one of the coolest things about music. it has this ability to call up many different kinds of memories. for instance, the song "Wobble" by Family Force 5. I don't like Family Force 5 at all, their music is a little too weird for me, but I love the song "Wobble" because whenever I hear it, it brings me back to the summer of 2012, where we heard it constantly. And the "Hoedown Throwdown" will always remind me of this past summer because we heard it ALL THE TIME. but I've learned to appreciate it :) "The Piano Man" by Billy Joel will always remind me of Guatemala (because someone sang it while hiking up a mountain behind me for like 20 minutes straight), and anything by DC Talk will remind me of singing in the church van while going... pretty much anywhere.
the song lately that I've been into is "Abide with Me". it's an old hymn, but rearranged by Greg Jasperse in the recording I have. we sang it in choir when I was in grade 11, and it was this phenomenal song that made people cry and gave us goosebumps. we got to sing it in an old church while on a music trip in Chicago, and it was just so incredibly cool to hear it echo like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_x54fSmLJE
this song brings me back to all the good times we had in choir, but also it's a hauntingly beautiful version of a hymn with so much meaning behind it. the last 2 verses are my favourite:
Swift to its' close ebbs, out life's little day
earth's joys grow dim, its' glories pass away
change and decay, in all around I see
oh, Lord who changes not
abide with me

Hold now your word before my closing eyes
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies
heav'n's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee
in life, in death oh Lord
abide with me
abide with me

today, I encourage to you be thoughtful about the music that you listen to. is there a reason you listen to this kind of music? do you just like it or is there a memory attached?
I am so thankful for the gift of music :)
Blessings in the One who created music,
-Cailey

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about all the things you're doing and learning! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete